Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Morning in the Hills of Kumarhatti during Monsoon-(22nd July)


It was actually the rays of the rising sun penetrating through my bedroom window, which welcomed me, when I opened my eyes in the morning. The golden glow made me jump out of the bed instantly. The warmth of the sun we missed terribly for almost a week, because the sickeningly cloudy weather interspersed by intermittent rains had starved us of the healthy feeling of a sunny day. It was sheer madness to waste the precious moments inside when the beauty of the day was beckoning me literally to ‘make hay while the sun shines.’ The sun seemed to be coercing the weak mist on the mountain tops and slopes to go and relax and let it brighten the lives of the folks down under.

I immediately prepared my ginger tea and mug in hand stepped out on the balcony. Tell you why I was in such a hurry to come out. In hills especially in July and August the weather is the king, queen and also a spoilt child. Its changeability is phenomenal. You spread your clothes for drying and airing on the balcony railing and come inside for finishing some chore. Lo and behold! Suddenly belligerent and menacingly dark clouds appear from no where, without any warning of gurgling thunder or lightening and start shedding their excess baggage of water. You have to have the speed of a sprinter to salvage the stuff which you have put outside for sunning.

I have an ambivalent attitude towards this sort of wantonness of the clouds. It is appealing after a couple of sunny days but disgusting when confronted with a continued spell of wetness. The chameleon like character of the clouds keeps you on tenter hooks all day long per sure. For locals it is no big deal. They are used to carrying umbrellas and trudge on slowly and steadily.

Coming back to this particular morning which fascinated and prompted me to pen this piece; I dragged a chair to sit and closed my eyes to savour the moment in all its glory. The sweet cosiness of the sun had a friend in the balmy breeze which was gently carousing around. Soon I became conscious of the scented air teasing my hair and my face being caressed by a fragrantly sensuous fairy like touch. I floated in a dreamy trance. Time stood still. After a while I came to myself and opened my eyes to a feeling of chill on my bare arms. The sun had disappeared. I looked skywards. The army of clouds was marching ahead in a threatening posture ready to charge. The cool breeze turned cold and hinted that I wrap myself with a shawl.
  I didn’t go inside though. Another episode equally enticing on that particular morning was inviting me to partake of its dance and song sequence being enacted on the pine tops and adjacent bushes, a couple of meters away from my balcony. I could not help standing up to watch the thrilling spectacle. Supporting myself by the terrace pillar, I was drawn irresistibly into the avian arena and got swayed by the shrill music and merry playfulness of a score of a kind of sparrows: grey plume, white breast, black shapely crest and eyes surrounded by a white ring. (A hill species I suppose). Their sculpted small bodies, agile, alive and alert, danced from bough to bough in a twittering madness♫. A spectacle absolutely unbelievable!!! It was an exhibition of supreme joy, like being on cloud nine!!! (:





2 comments:

  1. Lucky people!!! In the midst of nature's bounty.
    You write very well, and I want to read it again, slowly imagining the scenes.
    Please , I missed the photographs of that wonderful place. Please do add some for poor South Indians, living in hot dry Hyderabad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,we visited Hyderabad in 2002 for sight seeing.It has the old city charm.It was interesting to see pineapples hanging on strings in shops.Your city is comparatively cleaner than so many other cities.

    I'll click the pictures when I go there again.

    Enjoy your get together with like minded gardening afficandoes.

    ReplyDelete