Wednesday, July 26, 2017

CROONING IS DESTRESSING.






Image courtesy Google


Here I'm  not writing about professional crooning but recounting a few observations about our daily life in a lighter vein.


 
 C is for Crooning:

LIKE any other art, crooning is also an art. In fact, in every family, there is one member at least who is an amateur crooner.  Our mothers and grandmothers were fantastic crooners. With soft mellowed notes of a lullaby, they would take us to the dream world of sleep.

Walking down the memory lane, I can still visualize my mother crooning her favorite and soothing religious hymns early in the morning. This practice with her was spontaneous. Her busyness was always relaxed and pure. It added a charm and dignity to her daily chores. That also manifested pure calmness inside. I don't know how, but the gentle notes of hers, made us young children feel secure and confident. A joyful aura pervaded the atmosphere. It would uplift our spirits.


I remember my father crooning while bathing in the morning. All his life he bathed in running cold water.  Humming neutralized the effect of cold water. He knew the sacred hymns by heart and repeating them during his bath was the perfect start to every morning.

There is no dearth of bathroom singers in this world. The privacy and freedom of the bathroom fogs inhibitions. The eased spirit breaks into some sort of singing. The bathers come out refreshed of mind and body, ready to take on the world.

Croon while performing household tasks. It takes the drudgery out, while giving into pleasant feeling. A person who croons is a happy person. He/she infects the other family members with feelings of well being.

I’ve seen some youngsters singing gaily while cycling. Like being on cloud nine. I envy their ‘don’t care attitude.’

There is another type of crooning (disappearing now) prevailing in our society. This is elegiac in form. Women relatives and acquaintances assemble in the deceased's house.  They would wail in unison, while chanting the qualities of the departed soul.

I know how difficult it is to croon when sad or feeling down in the dumps. But one can at least try.



Friends,welcome here as always!


Sharing with:

ABC wednesday







8 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Oh the memories triggered, my father being the family crooner!!! A lovely meander around with the word Uppal-amma! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful choise for C this week! One that puts my mind in a thinking manor, remembering things also. I love crooning, thats a fact!

    Have a ♥-filled ABC-day / -week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫
    abc-w-team
    http://melodymusic.nl/21-c/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crooning has been expressed in a very interesting way here, the incidents you have pointed out are all very common but reflects your power of observation and the presence of mind to attach those with the word 'Crooning".
    Singing in bathroom and sometime during cycling...i still do it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very nice "take" on the word - I will remember your words.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed a beautiful feels and I could remember my grandmother crooning at various moments to cherish. I too murmur while in happy mood and sometime take me to a level above to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete